Thursday, January 29, 2015

Flies, GPs, and Dentists



Time Flies

I had my jacket, hat and gloves on. I’d packed a thermos of hot tea, and even considered taking along a sleeping back – just in case. I’d walked this way before and it had taken several days…well, many, many hours. I decided to time it to confirm that my perception of the length of time was the same as the reality. I started my stopwatch and off I went…

16 minutes later I arrived at my destination. Huh? From home to the library in only 16 minutes!

But whenever I walk here with the kids it always takes…wait a minute. Whenever I walk here with the kids.

London isn’t suddenly shrinking. I was not moving through a time warping vortex. I simply had no kids with me. I could walk at a reasonable, adult, pace. Normally we walk with Grace, aged three, or Grace goes in the buggy with the others hanging off it or near it. Progress is often slow…but we eventually get there.

The reason I headed to our library was because there was a dental surgery almost opposite that I was hoping to join the family up at. Luka had banged a tooth and we wanted to get it checked out.









Carrying The Shopping Home



Of course, it's not aways their walking pace that is the thing slowing us down!
 

Joining Up With GPs And Dentists

I went to the dental surgery with fear and trepidation. Naomi had recounted her experience of trying to join us up at a London GP. Her conversation with the receptionist went something like this
-          Hello, could I please sign my family up with your practice?
-          I’m sorry, not today. We stopped signing up new members at 1pm
-          But it’s 1.01pm
-          Exactly!
-          Well, when could I sign up?
-          Between 12.53 and 1.00pm on the third Wednesday of months with an ‘R’ in them and the second Thursday of all other months…unless the moon is in its first quarter, in which case…

So you can see I was a little tense as I turned the door handle to the dental surgery. I had arrived with our NHS numbers (official number to say we can use the British health system), our passports, proof of address, and a receipt from the local supermarket – which is irrelevant, but it was in my pocket.

I had worked out my opening phrase. Not, “Could I join my family up at your practice?” A closed question like that could too easy be answered, “No”. Instead, I chose, “Hello, I’d like to join myself and my family up with your practice, please”. I gritted my teeth, crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best.
-          Sure
-          Oh, okay then, do you know of any other practices around here. Wait! What? We can? Great. How?
-          Just write down your name, address, and date of birth on this piece of paper
-          Wow! Okay. My wife has a British passport and…
-          That’s not necessary. Could you also write down the names and dates of birth of the other members of your family?
Incredible! Within a few minutes I was joined up and had an appointment for Luka a couple of days away. Without me prompting in any way the receptionist asked, while smiling – not that common over here – would you like your other kids booked in for a free check-up? I was too flustered and turned her down saying I would have to confirm dates as we had a family wedding coming up with various members flying into the country.

In New Zealand, an event like being treated pleasantly and ‘reasonably’ would hardly rate mentioning in one’s diary, but over here it is…unusual, to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment